Thursday, April 21, 2016

R is for…Red Sonja

https://www.dynamite.com/images/redsonjabio.jpg
When I was a little girl in the 1970s, there was a used bookstore on the avenue in my hometown: Tom's Book Nook. My mother used to take advantage of the trade-in program, exchanging a pile of paperbacks for a pile of paperbacks on pay days.  I was allowed to spend a dollar on old comic books, from a box Tom kept under the counter, of comics for ten cents each.

It was always a strange collection. A mix of Spiderman, Tales from the Crypt, Archie, Duck Tales, Doctor Strange, Thor, all kinds of disparate heroes. But I loved Red Sonja. I still do. 

As a child, I was sure I was getting away with something, reading her tales. After all, she was nearly naked, and assuredly not ladylike or sweet. My grandmother definitely wouldn't have approved, though I suspect my mother did, even if she didn't say so aloud. 

Given how the women in most of the other comics in Tom's shop were either victims or noir-ish schemers, I liked Red. She was direct. She was strong. Tough. She'd have to be. Chain mail bikini. (Ouch). In spite of looking like some kind of pin-up girl, she was so much more to me. 

In recent issues, she's been updated by Gail Simone and I love her even more. In my heart, I might just be Red Sonja, even if my surface is a lot less fierce.
___________________________________
This post is part of the A to Z Blogging Challenge. I'll be writing about superheroes I love all month. You can check out other bloggers and see their creative takes on the challenge here.

Don't forget to check out my own superhero stories: The newest one released TODAY! Check out Book 2: Change of Life (the kindle is now live and the paper edition will be out in the next few days!)





10 comments:

  1. The Gail Simone run of Red Sonja was a lot of fun; if somewhat uneven in places.

    But Sonja is great. I love her too!

    --
    Tim Brannan, The Other Side Blog
    2015 A to Z of Adventure!
    http://theotherside.timsbrannan.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only knew her from the movie back in the 80s. I remember being annoyed that she couldn't star in her own movie centered on her own storyline and had to be overshadowed by Conan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. That really was a shame. And I didn't feel like the movie got her at all.

      Delete
  3. She is such an enigmatic character she really deserves her own movie.

    @Kathleen01930
    Meet My Imaginary Friends
    #AtoZchallenge

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd never heard of her before. She sounds like a badass ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always been grateful that my parents let me read comics, no comment. Loads of my friends weren't allowed to. ~Liz http://www.lizbrownleepoet.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cool to learn of your childhood influences. I like her too, but that outfit. WOW :)
    Congratulations on your latest release, need anything a blog guest post? Thunderclap, tweets, just let me know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's going well so far. I'll reach out about a guest post here in May, after we make it to Z!

      Delete
  7. I don't know Red Sonja from the comics, but I do love the movie. It's one of the ones I like to watch again and again. It's cheesy, but I love it.
    Tasha
    Tasha's Thinkings | Wittegen Press | FB3X (AC)

    ReplyDelete