Thursday, April 7, 2016

F is for…Flash Gordon

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnnnext/dam/assets/151128064646-flash-gordon-35-super-169.jpeg
The first time I saw Flash Gordon was with my Dad. We both have a taste for cheese: on our sandwiches, and in our movies, and this movie delivers a nice cheese platter. It's one of those movies I like to watch once every couple of years, along with Bladerunner, Big Trouble in Little China, and The Quiet Man. It pleases the little girl's heart that still skips along in my chest after all these years.

Flash is an old character, starting with a comic strip in the 1930s, and moving to the big screen serial, and then to television. I've seen some of all of those, but the Flash Gordon I love is from the 1980s movie starring Sam J. Jones. It hit so many of the pulp tropes that are near and dear to my heart.


http://www.joblo.com/newsimages1/bore%20worms.jpg

You've got an American hero, fighting his way through an alien world (in this case, literally alien). He's a very pulp version of American hero, who wins by strength of will and heart over villains who are about control through force. You've got a heroine who can hold her own against the villain and the hero, and look amazing while she does it. You've got a creepy villain out to destroy it all! You've got wonderfully cheesy costumes. And such scenery chewing dialogue!

And don't forget the song. If Freddy Mercury was involved, then you know it's got style :-)



___________________________________
This post is part of the A to Z Blogging Challenge. I'll be writing about superheroes I love all month. You can check out other bloggers and see their creative takes on the challenge here.

Don't forget to check out my own superhero stories:



13 comments:

  1. Flash Gordon. At last, someone I know. And didn't Brian Blessed play a blinder!
    I had a Greyhound called Flash for twelve years from about 1996. You can imagine the reaction I had from everyone whenever I called him!

    Keith Channing A-Zing from http://keithkreates.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am singing the theme in my head even as we speak without having to play the vid :). My sister and I had the soundtrack on tape and we used to play it on a terrible old tape player. What we never realised was it played a bit fast - Ming was a lot scarier without being sped up ;)
    Tasha
    Tasha's Thinkings | Wittegen Press | FB3X (AC)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear you have an appreciation for fine, pulpy cheese, too.

      Delete
  3. I think, at least for me, the music to Flash Gordon was way more memorable than the movie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the theme song does stick in your head :-)

      Delete
  4. I saw Flash Gordon with my dad too. He had read the old comics as a kid. The thing I love about Flash Gordon is how straight forward and cheesy it was. There was no nuance in Ming the Merciless.
    Of course, I loved the theme song. Whoever asked Queen to sing it was genius.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. It can be a relief to deal with fiction that's so direct and unfiltered sometimes.

      Delete
  5. Yeah I liked this movie as a kid and I read the comics too. I'd love to see an update, but sadly like Buck Rodgers, the Lone Ranger and the Phantom they might belong to a bygone age.

    --
    Tim Brannan, The Other Side Blog
    2015 A to Z of Adventure!
    http://theotherside.timsbrannan.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH. and what is not to love about that soundtrack! Queen rocks!

      Delete
    2. Definitely! We do get some tastes of pulp here and there. The Mummy wasn't that long ago :-)

      Delete