Friday, April 1, 2016

A is for…Antman!

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/81/Ant-Man_(2).jpg
 
Ant-Man is a newer find for me. I know he's been around in various incarnations for a while, but the first time he caught my eye was in The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, a cartoon series I watched with my husband and daughter on Netflix.

On that show, he was Hank Pym, genius, and really bad boyfriend to Janet Van Dyne, Wasp. In fact, their relationship dynamic was one of the pulls of the show for me, even if it was all subtext. They loved each other, but were not all that well suited in a lot of ways. He was a pacifist and a bit of a chauvinist; she was a feminist with a warrior's heart.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/B8TFvnr-zjM/hqdefault.jpg
I also really enjoyed the movie incarnation. Hank was there again, this time being played by Michael Douglas, a few years older than the cartoon hero. The title character is really Scott Lang, though, the new Ant-Man, played by Paul Rudd.

Rudd was excellent as that poor schlub who can't seem to catch a break no matter how hard he tries. I'm a sucker for underdog characters like that, so I was rooting for him early on. It didn't hurt that he was a Daddy trying to build a relationship with his little girl.

The movie had heart, and didn't take itself quite as seriously as most of the rest of the Marvel franchise movies. Don't get me wrong: I loves me some Captain America, Black Widow, etc. But I also like to smile and have my heart warmed on occasion. And for that, there's Ant-Man.
___________________________________
This post is part of the A to Z Blogging Challenge. I'll be writing about superheroes I love all month. You can check out other bloggers and see their creative takes on the challenge here.

Don't forget to check out my own superhero stories:




18 comments:

  1. I have yet to see Ant-Man - I keep meaning to. It sounds like a movie I will love. Good start to the AtoZ :)
    Tasha
    Tasha's Thinkings | Wittegen Press | FB3X (AC)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found it great fun. The hero with heart type of tale instead of the hero with a darkside type.

      Delete
  2. I've not seen it either, but ants really, really bug me. LOL

    Ninga Minion @YolandaRenee from
    http://yolandarenee.blogspot.com/ Defending The Pen
    http://parallelsanthology.blogspot.com/vParallels
    http://murderousimaginings.blogspot.com/ Murderous Imaginings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then you might not like seeing them apparently giant-size on screen. I found it great fun, though.

      Delete
    2. I'll have to watch it on the smaller screen then. LOL

      Delete
  3. I loved Antman, it was a real family favourite and we can't wait to watch it again.
    Looking forward to more superhero posts from you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Santa brought us a copy, so we can watch whenever we want :-)

      Delete
    2. Thanks for visiting my 'A' challenge. Just to let you know that as I was writing a reply my cat ran across the keyboard and deleted your comment. I don't know how she did it, or how to get it back. Sorry about that.

      Delete
  4. I've heard great things about Antman, but haven't seen it yet. My bf really enjoyed it.

    I loved Paul Rudd before he started appearing in all those dumb dick flicks.

    Great choice for A! One down, 25 to go. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. I'm not big on dumb humor either. I actually had no idea who he was when I saw the movie.

      Delete
  5. Samantha, visiting from the #AprilA2Z challenge. You're two down from me on the list and thought I'd see what you're sharing this year. I would like to watch this marvel adventure movie when it hits Netflix, the non-animated flick, because it appears a bit light-hearted. Laughter is the best medicine for one's soul. Thank you for the reminder to watch for this movie. Good luck with the April challenge & it's nice meeting you!

    Curious as a Cathy
    All Things Vintage: Artists #AprilA2Z #BoTB

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ant-man was fantastic. Looking forward to his future appearances in Captain America 3 and Ant-man & The Wasp! :) Good pick for A...I almost chose it myself (being a comic book geek).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :-) I had a great time deciding who all to write about for these. Antman was a shoe-in.

      Delete
  7. Are there super-heroes for all 26 letters? I'm afraid my exposure to the genre is limited to a few obvious, high-profile ones, and those mentioned in the Big Bang Theory. I can learn something this month.
    Keith Channing A-Zing from http://keithkreates.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah. I had multiple choices for most letters. Even the tricky ones. :-)

      Delete
  8. I hadn't read any comics with Antman in them, so the movie was my intro to him. I really loved it though and can't wait to see more.

    ~Patricia Lynne aka Patricia Josephine~
    Story Dam
    Patricia Lynne, Indie Author

    ReplyDelete