Wednesday, April 27, 2016

W is for…Wolverine

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/55/df/97/55df97d6f2b31a6cc8faf31873d4b2db.jpg
Wolverine has been known by several names, and had several looks depending on who is drawing him. I tend to think of him as Logan, and I always picture him in a bloody teeshirt and jeans (no yellow pajamas for me, please).

When I first discovered the character, in comics, Hugh Jackman wasn't yet associated with him, and he was allowed to be kind of squat and ugly. He's definitely been prettied up now, though I'll give Jackman credit for understanding the character psychologically and mastering some of the iconic poses.

Logan is probably my favorite superhero character, besides those I myself have written. He's an antihero, in that he's not always interested in being a hero and he's willing to use deadly force. I like him because he's got such a relentlessly tough and grumpy exterior, but he's got a marshmallow of a heart when it comes to people who need protecting.


He has an especial soft spot for young women and in many of his storylines has had a young protégé: Kitty Pride, Jubilee, Rogue, X-23, Ms. Marvel (Kamala Khan). I've admired the relationships for avoiding sexual complications (and the ick factor of teenager with an old dude) and for the way he manages to protect these women while still helping them fight for themselves. He's egalitarian in his own way, and old fashioned and modern at the same time, teaching that the best defense is a strong offense.

He's an amazing character, with a healing factor (at least in most storylines) that slows his aging and gives writers a long history to play around in. He's been a soldier, a mercenary, a recluse, and a hero. I'll keep reading him as long as they keep writing him.
___________________________________


This post is part of the A to Z Blogging Challenge. I'll be writing about superheroes I love all month. You can check out other bloggers and see their creative takes on the challenge here.

Don't forget to check out my own superhero stories. Change of Life, book two of my Menopausal Superheroes series just came out a few days ago!






5 comments:

  1. I really don't know anything about Wolverine, except that Hugh Jackman played him in a few movies, but I don't even know how many there were.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My brother had some Wolverine comics and he had interesting stories. One of my favorite things was how feral he could be in certain arcs.

    ~Ninja Minion Patricia Lynne aka Patricia Josephine~
    Story Dam
    Patricia Lynne, Indie Author

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand there's another movie with Wolverine soon. He's a favorite of mine too, but one day they'll have to replace him. I'm not looking forward to that. ;(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard he's a favorite character of many. I only know the Hugh Jackman version, but I like that version.

    Liz A. from Laws of Gravity

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wolvie :) I have to admit he wasn't one of my fav until Jackman, but I have come to pay more attention to him since and he's a great character.
    Tasha
    Tasha's Thinkings | Wittegen Press | FB3X (AC)

    ReplyDelete