Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Thanksgiving at la casa Bryant



A traditional Thanksgiving is a lot of work. (I know: #firstworldproblems) Even in families that divide the cooking and hosting labor, there are still many many tasks on that to-do list to do it up "right." We don't live near our extended families, so that's not possible for us.

As much as I love Thanksgiving foods and having a lovely meal with my loved ones, I don't love the work. Especially not at the end of November, when middle school teachers like me feel like they might drown in the to-do list at school, if the drama doesn't kill us first.

It definitely doesn't feel like a holiday to me to take the primary cook (me) and make her cook more. So, a few years ago, when I was overextended and making myself crazy, we agreed to take it down a notch. We order Thanksgiving from Weaver Street Market. The food is good. It's still beautiful and festive, but the time and stress is cut in half or maybe even less. I've never regretted that decision (and if my family does, they are kind enough not to say so).

Now, when I sit down at the table, I don't fall asleep in the mashed potatoes. Instead, I have energy for making hand turkeys with the kids (yes, we make the teenager do it, too), and watching really cheesy fun movies and playing board games. I get to jump in the leaf piles because I'm not hovering over something delicate in the kitchen.

That's some giving (in the give and take sense) and I am thankful yet again for my family. May this holiday (if you celebrate) bring you joy and relaxation as well as yummy treats.


2 comments:

  1. What good is a holiday if the joy has been sucked out of it? Glad you're back to enjoying the day. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, I'm so glad you found balance with it. I think there is so much pressure on us to put on the Grand Holiday and make it look like those picture perfect Norman Rockwell scenes. In reality, the perfection comes from spending time with family and friends, enjoying each others company and building memories. Save the fancy meals for a non-busy time of year (if there is such a thing), and enjoy the time off!

    Happy Thanksgiving :)

    ReplyDelete