We've been re-watching the series this fall, now that she's all but grown (college in on our near horizon now). In the intervening years, we've watched an episode here and there and memorized the soundtrack to the musical episode, but we've never watched it all again. It's a double nostalgia treat for me, remembering and enjoying again both the series itself and the girls' night bonding of watching it with my girl. We're in Season 2 currently, and plan to watch the whole thing again.
Stuff we love this go round:
- Whedon dialogue. We're especially enjoying all the random musing on words. We're word nerds ourselves, so we also wonder why you can't be gruntled, but you can be disgruntled or if sore thumbs really stick out or why it's the "whole nine yards." Nine yards of what?
- Oz. He's our geeky, fully self-actualized dreamboat. Watching the romance build up with Willow is even better when you already know it's coming. "Who is that girl?" (It's also kind of worse when you already know what's coming after that).
- The Music: when the show was on, I didn't know most of this music, but now half the songs being played at the Bronze are songs I can sing along with.
- Cordelia. She's a fuller and more interesting character from the get-go than I previously gave her credit for (even in previous watchings of the show). She doesn't put her head in the sand and pretend there are no monsters. Like any good rich girl, she wants a professional to take care of it for her. Like any independent woman, she also wants to supervise, and might even help sometimes.
- The clothes. Especially Willow's.
- Giles. The reveal in season 2 of his history as "Ripper." What a great build and unexpected treat that was!
- The monsters. The insect woman, the bug man, the cowboy Vampire brothers, Ted, Spike and Dru, the Incan Mummy girl, the big tentacled thing with the egg babies . . .and I remember there are still more to come!
Any other Buffy fans out there? What do you love about it?
I had the 1st season a few years ago and really enjoyed it, but I never got around to watching more.ReplyDelete
Season two is really stellar, IMHO, and there are highlights in all seasons. The last was the weakest.Delete
I love Buffy. So very much. I, too, have the musical memorized. And most of the episodes themselves. The dialogue is really top notch. It's what made me fall in love with Joss Whedon.ReplyDelete
I think the only demons to really terrify me were The Gentlemen in season four.
Enjoy your rewatch!
Oh! The Gentlemen! That was a GREAT and really creative episode.Delete
I have never watched Buffy (the show), but I am a fan of Joss Whedon. I think he is one of the wittiest writers out there. Firefly was pure genius.ReplyDelete
I also adore Firefly . . .but it doesn't seem to capture my daughter the same way. So many wonderful characters on Firefly though!Delete
Hiya Samantha!!! I too watched it with my younger daughter and we drug her older sister into the mix too. I've watched a few episodes since then, maybe I should schedule them as a nightly thing again. Love your blog and books. Have a great weekend. Blessed be, hugs!!!ReplyDelete
Thanks so much! Glad to hear some other mother-daughters can bond over vampire slaying, too :-)Delete