Saturday, April 23, 2016

T is for…the Tick!

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEiy1mJ-eoEJ2b5rPx60Pvr9jnC-WRaJ_LMy0j0sThsaXUT4qlL8p0GK3hs5dIM_eX38zpyyZXt6uPoRRSiRV0gE9rrcRMM_45gsvwi7tcUsI6E_f0z06dx5wrsYxBclr8wTo4eV_GjJBWo/s1600/TheTick-76992.png

SPOOOON! It's the battle cry of The Tick, a hulking nigh-indestructible superhero who dresses in what appears to be blue latex, though the antennae move, which begs the question of whether that's a costume or his flesh.

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original
/7/79709/2124195-woodard_tick.jpg
I've loved him in comics, in cartoons, and in his short-lived but absolutely fantastic live-action TV show. The Tick in some ways parodies superheroes and in other ways gets to the heart of what makes superheroes great. 

He does often save the day, though it's by luck more than skill. He's unrelentingly sunny and optimistic, and convinced that he is on an important mission. His childlike wonder makes for some fun and hilarious moments. The cast surrounding him (Arthur, American Maid, Bat Manuel, Die Fledermaus, Bipolar Bear, and Sewer Urchin, among others) are equally absurd, with their strange powers.

I wonder if they were inspiration for some of the Evil League of Evil heroes Joss Whedon wrote for Dr. Horrible's Sing-a-Long Blog?

___________________________________

 This post is part of the A to Z Blogging Challenge. I'll be writing about superheroes I love all month. You can check out other bloggers and see their creative takes on the challenge here.

Don't forget to check out my own superhero stories. Change of Life, book two of my Menopausal Superheroes series just came out a few days ago!






7 comments:

  1. I adore Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog. I am less familiar with the Tick, but I did watch a few episodes of the short-lived Patrick Warburton TV series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've certainly heard of the Tick but I didn't know that much about him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Tick is a new one to me. Nice body though.

    @Kathleen01930
    Meet My Imaginary Friends
    #AtoZchallenge

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe the costume allows for the antennae, like sleeves? Fun to learn about a superhero I haven't encountered before. All the best for the last week of the challenge.

    Nilanjana.
    Ninja Minion, A-Z 2016
    Madly-in-Verse

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spoon! I love the tick! That was one of my favorite cartoons as an adult.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember watching that cartoon when I was little. My mom and I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My husband and daughter used to watch The Tick on Saturday mornings. They loved it!
    Carol at My Writing Journal

    ReplyDelete