Friday, April 22, 2016

S is for…Swamp Thing


You might be expecting to see Superman here. He seems like the obvious choice, being the most famous superhero there is, and even wearing the big letter S on his chest. But, the truth is, I've never found Kal-El that interesting. He's so overpowered, that writers really have to reach to write challenges for me, and sometimes that reach really shows. I have a superman tee shirt, but I always say the S is for Samantha and that Kal-El and I have an agreement.

So, instead, let's talk about Swamp Thing. The original eco-warrior. He never set out to be a hero. But, that's what he became. First, he was a scientist. You might think a scientist working the swamps of Georgia would be safe from supervillains, but, no! Apparently, when you're working on a plant that can survive anywhere, word gets out. And before you know it, you're a mutated beast fighting another mutated beast to save the woman you love and the world. Stuff happens.

I met Swamp Thing in the 80s movie pictured above and I've loved him ever since. He's that reluctant hero, doing what he feels is morally right and accepting the way his life changes with quiet dignity. Plus, have you ever been to the swamp? I totally can picture some kind of swamp creature living there meting out justice to wrongdoers among the hanging vines and murky water. Can't you?
___________________________________
This post is part of the A to Z Blogging Challenge. I'll be writing about superheroes I love all month. You can check out other bloggers and see their creative takes on the challenge here.

Don't forget to check out my own superhero stories: The newest one released yesterday! Check out Book 2: Change of Life (the kindle is now live and the paper edition will be out in the next few days!)





9 comments:

  1. I liked Swamp Thing because of the environmental angle of his story. Also, his appearance is so divergent from the traditional superhero persona. It's great when the boundaries get pushed like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you about Superman - he just gets boring in the end for me. As for Swamp Thing, great choice :) I haven't seen the movie in ages though - I should see if I can find it again.
    Tasha
    Tasha's Thinkings | Wittegen Press | FB3X (AC)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It gets screen time once a year or so at the Carolina, a theater near me with a GREAT retro series.

      Delete
  3. I can't tell you how many times I watched this movie. Loved this as a kid. Great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Swamp Thing as eco-warrior. I love it! You've built quite a collection of interesting blog posts on the A to Z Challenge! I'm really enjoying this series. Thanks!

    Julie
    My A to Z link: http://www.julievalerie.com/thesaurus-tyrannosaurus/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not a fan of swamp thing or the swamp. Not a place I'd ever want to visit, explore, or camp just beyond. Too many weird creatures! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hiya!!! I got the Swamp Thing picture, but the script showing up is for Red Sonja. What happened???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weird. I'll get that fixed! Thanks for the head's up!

      Delete
    2. Thanks Samantha!!! Whatever you did worked, I'm all caught up now!!! Have a great Sunday, hugs!!!

      Delete