Saturday, April 9, 2016

H is for …Hawkgirl


http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/p__/images/2/26/Hawkgirl.jpg/
revision/latest?cb=20130804182356&path-prefix=protagonist
Hawkgirl won my heart during her stint on Justice League Unlimited.

Shayera Hol of the planet Thanagar is a complicated woman. She was sent to Earth as a spy and advance scout for a planned invasion by her people. She infiltrated the Justice League, fighting alongside the other heroes as Hawkgirl.

Hawkgirl is a "hit first" sort of woman. She loves a problem that can be solved with a solid swing of her electric mace. She's not a touchy-feely sort of woman, her feelings for Green Lantern John Stewart not withstanding. Her sense of humor is biting.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/f7/b0/b5/f7b0b52b6d0e517251bd876ec42cf081.jpg

When she is revealed, and unmasked (shocker: that IS a mask--I wasn't sure if it was her face or not), she becomes the heart of whole second story about the nature of loyalty, betrayal of forgiveness. Yep, complicated. And awesome.

___________________________________
This post is part of the A to Z Blogging Challenge. I'll be writing about superheroes I love all month. You can check out other bloggers and see their creative takes on the challenge here.

Don't forget to check out my own superhero stories:



7 comments:

  1. I do not know Hawkgirl - she sounds like an interesting character to get into.
    Tasha
    Tasha's Thinkings | Wittegen Press | FB3X (AC)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I love her sense of humor! Was that a show for kids?? o_o

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's debatable. Animated shows these days are not automatically kids shows. I watched the series with the husband and the eight year old. Stuff like this just flew right over her head.

      Delete
  3. Boy have I missed out. Never heard of Hawkgirl either!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have heard of Hawkgirl, but didn't know much about her.

    She sounds like a fun character.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved Hawkgirl in JL and JLU. She has had such a complicated story in the comics. I do like the new Hawkgirl in Legends of Tomorrow though. I love the reincarnation angle (from the Golden Age comics).

    --
    Tim Brannan, The Other Side Blog
    2015 A to Z of Adventure!
    http://theotherside.timsbrannan.com/

    ReplyDelete