Wednesday, June 5, 2024

What should IWSG do next?

    


Welcome to the first Wednesday of the month. You know what that means! It's time to let our insecurities hang out. Yep, it's the Insecure Writer's Support Group blog hop. If you're a writer at any stage of career, I highly recommend this blog hop as a way to connect with other writers for support, sympathy, ideas, and networking. If you're a reader, it's a great way to peek behind the curtain of a writing life.

Our Twitter handle is @TheIWSG and hashtag is #IWSG. The awesome co-hosts for the June 5 posting of the IWSG are Liza at Middle Passages, Shannon Lawrence, Melissa Maygrove, and Olga Godim!

June 5 question - In this constantly evolving industry, what kind of offering/service do you think the IWSG should consider offering to members?
__________________________________________

Once a month affirmations and celebration and engagement through the blog hop is quite a gift already, honestly. The time our monthly volunteer moderators put into helping ensure that everyone sees engagement and that the tone is positive and kind is not to be discounted!

The anthologies have also been great for encouraging writers to finish things and given quite a few among our number some publication credits. 


I know there are also other things that happen that I haven't found the time to participate in very deeply, like book clubs and social conversation opportunities in the Facebook group. There really is already a lot going on this group, and the more you invest yourself and your time, the more you can get out of it. 

Since I can't spare volunteer hours at this stage of my life to make anything happen (I'm already spread too thin), I feel odd making suggestions, but since y'all asked, here are a few things to consider:  

  • In-person gatherings, regionally, like networking socials or write-in meetings
  • Zoom versions of the same
  • Classes and webinars members can take to learn about writing craft and the publishing business more formally
  • Group readings at conventions
  • Development of a directory of members, which can be used to connect with other writers who live near you or write in similar genres 
  • Development of a podcast or program where writing topics can be discussed in a panel format

Clearly, all of these take time and energy though, and I know how difficult it can be to keep a writing life going alongside the "ordinary" demands of day jobs, families, households, and caregiving, so I truly appreciate the work that already happens in this organization.  

Even though I'm now stuffing a full time writing life into part-time hours and time is at a premium, I'll keep finding time for First Wednesdays because the camaraderie has meant so much over the years. Thanks, IWSG! 

9 comments:

  1. I think doing the anthologies again is a great idea that other members have mentioned too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zoom meetings have been mentioned several times so we'll need to consider it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm thankful to the IWSG because of the community it's given me access to. I've met so many great people. I hope they continue to do what they can to keep that going.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great ideas, Samantha! I get the time issue, for sure! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd like a zoom conference--aka getting together for coffee--once in a while and if someone wanted to give a talk that would be great too. :-)

    Anna from elements of emaginette

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, another IWSG anthology would be great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The podcast idea is an interesting one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You offer up some terrific ideas. It would be fun to meet local IWSG members in person. Like you, I am grateful for the monthly connection IWSG offers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are great ideas! And I definitely agree that IWSG already does amazing things, but if they're looking for more options, these are some great ones to consider!

    ReplyDelete