Monday, October 2, 2023

Mom, my first teacher and audience: an open book blog hop post



Welcome to Open Book Blog Hop. You can find us every Monday talking about the writing life. I hope you'll check out all the posts: you'll find the links at the bottom of this post.

Who was the first person who believed in you?  
______________________

I have been lucky to have support for me as a person and me as a creative from the get-go. My first cheerleader was (and still is) my mother. 

From the very beginning, she fostered my interest in reading and writing, taking me to the library, running to catch the book mobile, taking me to the used book store on the avenue and letting me spend some of her precious and limited monthly book budget, sharing her own love of story. 

It takes a special person to support the writing of a child--to understand the balance of praise and pushing to do something better. My mom really *got* me as a creative and exercised such patience as I told her my stories and wrote those early poems. She has been my first audience and teacher wrapped up in one. 

a woman standing in a pool of light surrounded by greenery.
My mom, in the magic light, on our trip to Ireland in 2022.

One could definitely argue that I wouldn't have become a writer if I hadn't had my mother, or at least that it would have been less likely. 

My family has been very supportive in general--my dad, my sister, my aunts and uncles, my cousins, my grandparents and then my husband and our children, too. When I see how hard some of my writing friends have had to fight for their writing lives, I know I am lucky beyond the pale. 

How about you? Did you have to fight for your creative self? Or did you find support when you needed it? I'd love to hear about it in the comments. 

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

3 comments:

  1. My family find it hard to believe that I write novels. I've given up trying to get them to read any of my work. I can understand it, writing is so out of character for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've been lucky in having such a supportive family. Well done to your mum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to fight with myself to figure out my creative side, which is in direct opposition to my mathematical side.

    ReplyDelete