Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Alliances: My Thanks to Team Bryant

http://www.azquotes.com/picture-quotes/quote-good-lord-for-alliance-thus-goes-every-one-
to-the-world-but-i-and-i-am-sunburnt-i-may-william-shakespeare-35-21-95.jpg

Well, actually I have a husband. A really good one, too. So maybe this quote doesn't fit this blog post as well I thought it would. It is awesome though, and in my mind's ear, it's Emma Thompson reading it. Who wouldn't want Emma Thompson narrating their blog? 

What I mean to celebrate is partnerships. I made a new one this week, and I think it's going to be a good one, so here's to alliances!

http://www.backlitweb.com/wp-content/uploads/
2014/01/groups-help.jpg
First there's my husband. He's in my corner in a million ways, big and small. Right behind him is the rest of my family and my friends. That personal support is the backbone of my life, and often the only reason I can stand up straight at all. 

Then there's my critique group and other writer friends. People who are in the same field: semi-pro like me, serious amateurs, and a few professionals. I've gotten great advice, mentoring and support from other writers. I highly recommend seeking out other writers. 

My publisher has been a wonderful partner, helping me learn how to sell books, which is a whole separate ballgame from writing them. 

Then there's professional organizations. I've been so grateful for the opportunities I've found through groups like Broad Universe, Women's Fiction Writers Association, the Pen and Cape Society, Grimace and Giggle, and now my newest alliance:



Here's to alliances! New and old. Thanks, everyone. 


5 comments:

  1. I agree. Sometimes my bf and friends are the only things that keep me sane.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some writers' family and friends think their writing is a waste of time or won't ever become anything other than a hobby. I can't imagine having the people closest to you belittle your passion.
      Well... mostly I can't imagine.

      Delete
    2. That is belittling. That whole "pat on the head" attitude is infuriating. Luckily, fury is good for art.

      Delete