Tuesday, April 26, 2016

V is for . . . Velma!

Velma Dinkley might not seem like a superhero to some. She can't breath underwater or fly or throw fire or anything like that. But not all superheroes have superpowers. Without their gear, Ironman and Batman are just rich guys, after all.

Velma is a superhero to me because she's a woman making it on the strength of her intellect. She always has the necessary background knowledge to spot the clue that is out of place. She's brave and stalwart, willing to walk into the heart of the volcano or into the depths of the swamp.

She even has a weakness: blindness (in the form of a tendency to lose her glasses).

I've loved Velma since I was a child watching the original Scooby Doo,  Where are You? series, and I've enjoyed the interpretations since in other cartoons and the movies. Especially in more recent programming, both Velma and Daphne get a rewrite and are no longer just comic relief and victim, respectively.

Velma is so hipster that she was cool with her own geek-ness before the world began to realize that smart is sexy. I still wouldn't mind growing up to be Velma.
___________________________________


This post is part of the A to Z Blogging Challenge. I'll be writing about superheroes I love all month. You can check out other bloggers and see their creative takes on the challenge here.

Don't forget to check out my own superhero stories. Change of Life, book two of my Menopausal Superheroes series just came out a few days ago!






11 comments:

  1. I'm not sure who my favorite Scooby Doo character is, but Velma is awesome for the fact she is a geek and helps save the day.

    ~Ninja Minion Patricia Lynne aka Patricia Josephine~
    Story Dam
    Patricia Lynne, Indie Author

    ReplyDelete
  2. Velma! I love her! I'm so happy she has a spot on your superhero list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Velma! She's her own person. She deserves recognition!

    @Kathleen01930
    Meet My Imaginary Friends
    #AtoZchallenge

    ReplyDelete
  4. Velma was always my favorite. I love the geeky smart girls. Great theme!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Velma! I dressed up as her for Halloween once when I was a teenager. And I'm also kind of blind without my glasses...

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was always great to see a smart girl in cartoon as a kid. Glad she made the superhero list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always found Velma more attractive than Daphne. Still do.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sorry to say I never knew the names of any of the characters! Nice little spotlight. And I will definitely have to check out your menopausal superheros, too!
    Rebecca http://www.ninjalibrarian.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Velma is awesome - what a great choice for V :) Personally I would have invested in goggles for those times when investigating cases because those glasses always, always fell off her nose ;)
    Tasha
    Tasha's Thinkings | Wittegen Press | FB3X (AC)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Velma, she's so smart, cool, and calm. A great example of a superhero!

    ReplyDelete