Wednesday, August 2, 2023

Inner Conflict and the Writing Process: An IWSG post

  


Welcome to the first Wednesday of the month. You know what that means! It's time to let our insecurities hang out. Yep, it's the Insecure Writer's Support Group blog hop. If you're a writer at any stage of career, I highly recommend this blog hop as a way to connect with other writers for support, sympathy, ideas, and networking. If you're a reader, it's a great way to peek behind the curtain of a writing life.

Our Twitter handle is @TheIWSG and hashtag is #IWSG. The awesome co-hosts for the August 2 posting of the IWSG are Kate Larkinsdale, Diane Burton, Janet Alcorn, and Shannon Lawrence!

August 2 question: Have you ever written something that afterwards you felt conflicted about? If so, did you let it stay how it was, take it out, or rewrite it?
__________________________________________

By the time I actually finish a piece of writing, as in "this is ready to submit for publication," I've worked my way through all my angst and anxiety about it and I believe in it and want to get it in front of readers. 

So, I'd have to say "sort of" in answering today's question: I've felt that way while the piece was still in-process, but I made my peace with it before I called it done. 

I've definitely written some things that surprised me--that were very different from my usual in theme or style or content. I've spent a little time worrying that the change won't go over well with my readers now that I've established a small following, but in the end, my writing life belongs to me and is about expression of what's going on inside my mind and heart, so I don't hold myself back for long worrying about reception. 

Me with my "half hero/half horror" banner at Ret-Con

I do warn people though. People who know me for my Menopausal Superhero series are sometimes really surprised to find out that I write dark fiction and horror stories, too. And both groups have been surprised by a few pieces that took a more literary bent and weren't really speculative fiction at all. 

I have some writer friends who establish pen names for their work in different genres, and that seems like a great technique to me and a good cue for readers, but I get tired just thinking about managing more than one of me, so it's all just under my real name. 

For other writers coming to my site today, how does this play out for you? For readers, how do you feel about it when an author you enjoy puts out a different sort of work than what you already know and love? I'd love to hear about it in the comments!

14 comments:

  1. I write MG and YA fantasy now but may try a mystery in the future. I wouldn't want to use a pen name because it would be hard to develop a new social media platform and following. Many authors write in different genres so I don't have a problem with that as a reader.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel similarly. Hopefully other readers do too!

      Delete
  2. The idea of managing more than one pen name exhausts me, too. Anything I manage to publish is all going under my one name. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of me is plenty, really. I wear me out. LOL.

      Delete
  3. I roam around the genres myself. The writing changes with my moods and always has. :-)

    Anna from elements of emaginette

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love when I see an author step outside their usual genre! It's always an interesting way of seeing their creative side in a new light.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I appreciate your take on pen names as I'm currently considering a pen name to write some mysteries since I'm currently really just known for horror. I wouldn't be hiding anything, so it would be completely for people to conveniently tell the genres apart in advance, but then I've seen authors like Jeff Strand publish all over the place, including horror and Young Adult, and do it all under one name. Plus, I've already published mystery short stories under my real name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems like a lot to manage to me, but it really works for some folks. Best of luck figuring out what will work best for you!

      Delete
  6. Yeah, the pen name seems like a ton of work. Bad enough one has to cover all the social media but to have to do it twice? Another reason I'm not writing in a different genre unless it's fantasy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete