Monday, August 7, 2023

My Author Origin Story: An Open Book Blog Hop post


 

Welcome to Open Book Blog Hop. You can find us every Monday talking about the writing life. I hope you'll check out all the posts: you'll find the links at the bottom of this post.

What's your author origin story?  
______________________

In some ways, I've always been a writer, at least since I could actually hold a pen or pencil and physically write. My first poems were written when I was only six, in first grade. "Beauty is in the great, tall trees/bending over in the breeze" and stuff like that. 

In other ways, I've only been an author for a decade or so, starting when I panicked a little over the idea that I was turning 42 and still hadn't written a book, then committed to a daily writing habit, and started finishing things, submitting them, and getting published. 

But the important part of my author origin story isn't in the exact details. This heroine's journey begins with reading. 

The first book I can remember loving was a collection of Mother Goose nursery rhymes. It was a tall, slender volume with a blue cover. I had to lay it down on the floor and stretch out my arm to turn the pages. By the time I was three years old, I had it memorized, down to what words went with what page turns, and convinced my grandmother that I could already read (I couldn't--I just knew that book by heart). 


I had a pretty healthy collection of Little Golden Books as well, since that was my bribe for being a good girl at the grocery store. I'd put up with a lot for the promise of a new Little Golden Book. 

When I got a little older, Mom and I (and little sister, when she came along) became regulars at the library. I was such an enthusiastic little reader that the book mobile ladies would hide books under the seat for me so they'd still be available when they got to my house even though we were one of the last stops. To this day, I am grateful to my library and librarians for all the worlds they opened to me through their shelves. 

But yes, reading was definitely my conduit into writing. I'd make up other endings or additional adventures for stories I loved, and over time I started writing them down. Really, it's no surprise to anyone who knew me in childhood that I grew up to be a writer. 

Writing sometimes feels to me like reading notched up to eleven. If reading lets me walk in someone else's shoes, writing lets me wear their skin and look out through their eyes, imagining all the details of a life very different than my own. It's one of the great joys of my life and I hope to enjoy it for many years yet to come. 

How about you? Do you have an origin story for your heart's endeavors? I'd love to hear about it in the comments! 

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

8 comments:

  1. I think the majority of writers were readers first. I know I was. I spent quite a lot of my childhood curled up with a good book, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. Sometimes I feel like writing is just a deeper kind of reading.

      Delete
  2. Librarians are a godsend. Mine gave me the right to go into the school library before she got there,(and check books in and out for other kids) and other teachers would unlock the door for me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A good librarian is worth their weight in gold.

      Delete
  3. I used to love Saturday mornings at the library, it was the highlight of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My writing origin story is one that started long ago, but the start always makes me chuckle. I was bored one day. That's it. I was bored so I thought "Why not write down the stories I day dream about for fun?" And here I am now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My imprint name for my indie projects is "Dangerous When Bored" so I get you!

      Delete