Monday, July 24, 2023

Anne? Pippi? Nancy? Madeline? Ferdinand? An open book blog hop post


Welcome to Open Book Blog Hop. You can find us every Monday talking about the writing life. I hope you'll check out all the posts: you'll find the links at the bottom of this post.

If you were a beloved children's character, which ones would you be? 
______________________

Now that's an interesting question. Am I meant to say which character I think is the most like me? Or more like which character would I like to be? Both, you say? Sure! Why not both!

As a child, I was very much like Anne of Green Gables fame. I was always getting in trouble for daydreaming, a little quick to take offense, and very much following my heart. 

I even had freckles, reddish hair often worn in braids, and a propensity for books and straw hats. 

Honestly, I haven't changed that much. I've just figured out a way to channel my daydreaming into writing, and to go a little slower before I fly off the handle. (Probably much like Anne herself did as she grew up, come to think of it). 

So that's who I am like, but then who would I like to be, given the chance? 

Should I be content to be who I am, no matter what others seems to think, like Ferdinand the bull? Smart, brave, and helpful like Nancy Drew? Self-sufficient, independent, and unable to be cowed like Pippi Longstocking? Loyal and fierce like Madeline? 


I don't think I can pick. How about you? Is there a children's book character you especially identify with? I'd love to hear about it in the comments!

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

4 comments:

  1. Ah, Nancy Drew... I remember reading those series of books aged about 10 and wishing I was her! I didn't have the 'titian' hair though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read a lot of them, different generations even. The ones my mom read and passed on, the ones published when I was young, the ones in the school library (somewhere between).

      Delete
  2. I had almost the entire collection of Nancy Drew as a young teen. I have picked up a few copies as collector's items but reading them with an adult eye, is a different experience

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's often that way. I haven't revisited them not wanting to spoil how they are in my memory.

      Delete