Monday, July 10, 2023

Why settle for egg drop soup when you can have Massaman Curry? An Open Book post.


Welcome to Open Book Blog Hop. You can find us every Monday talking about the writing life. I hope you'll check out all the posts: you'll find the links at the bottom of this post.

What do you order from your local Chinese restaurant? Do you order it every time or mix things up? 
______________________

The truth is I'm a bit of a food snob, and my local Chinese restaurant is nothing special. It's not bad. It's fine, completely adequate, but ordinary. 

So, if it's up to me alone, I don't bother. I feel that way about most of the restaurants in my adopted hometown of Hillsborough, North Carolina--they're fine, but not special (though that's changing! there are a couple of newer and more interesting places I'm hoping will take root). 

If I'm going out to eat, I want something more interesting, preferably something I've never tried, and there are a LOT of much more interesting restaurants near me. It's one of the cool things about living between two university towns--lots of culinary possibilities.

image source

My current favorites for eating out are a local Mexican restaurant (Tacos Los Altos), a Thai restaurant in downtown Durham (Thai at Main Street), an Indian restaurant in another part of Durham (Tandoori Bites), a Turkish place in downtown Chapel Hill (Talulla's) and a Himalayan place in downtown Chapel Hill (Momo's Master).  

image source
But, still, the kiddo gets a hankering for egg drop soup from time to time, especially if they don't feel well. 

And if I'm getting egg drop soup for the kid, then I get an egg roll for me while I'm there, and if I'm trying to avoid multiple stops, I might pick up some garlic chicken, or cashew chicken, or orange chicken for my own dinner and chicken and vegetables for Sweetman. 

So, I'm not completely averse to patronizing our local Chinese restaurant if the circumstances are right. And I do like to keep up the Jewish tradition of eating Chinese food on Christmas. 

How about you? Do you favor a Chinese restaurant near you? What do you like to eat from there? I'd love to hear about it in the comments. 

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

8 comments:

  1. I do like Cashew Chicken, with egg fried rice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! I haven't had egg fried rice in a long time.

      Delete
  2. Unfortunately I've always had absolutely no interest in buying, preparing or eating food. I stick to plain chicken, fish and vegetables, and it seems to suit me better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a bit of a foodie over here, that makes me sad, but I know not everyone is into food like I am. You do what you like and what makes you feel good!

      Delete
  3. Before we moved, there was a local Thai restaurant that was great. And they were good at making the food at the spice level the customers wanted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's essential. Sometimes places are inconsistent about what they mean by "mild" and "medium" and that can go badly for the consumer.

      Delete