Wednesday, September 7, 2022

Not the Genre for Me: An Insecure Writers Support Group Post

 


Welcome to the first Wednesday of the month. You know what that means! It's time to let our insecurities hang out. Yep, it's the Insecure Writer's Support Group blog hop. If you're a writer at any stage of career, I highly recommend this blog hop as a way to connect with other writers for support, sympathy, ideas, and networking. If you're a reader, it's a great way to peek behind the curtain of a writing life.

Our Twitter handle is @TheIWSG and hashtag is #IWSG. The awesome co-hosts for the September 7 posting of the IWSG are Kim Lajevardi, Cathrina Constantine, Natalie Aguirre, Olga Godim, Michelle Wallace, and Louise - Fundy Blue! Be sure to stop by and see what they have to say when you finish here.

September 7 question - What genre would be the worst one for you to tackle and why?
_______________________________________________

I like trying on new genres. Trying something I've never done before is part of the joy of writing for me. It's part of why I love writing for anthologies: it's like being invited to play a new game.

image source

Mostly, I like to stay under the speculative fiction umbrella, writing something with unrealistic elements--creatures, magic, made-up technologies, superpowers, wild settings, etc. 

I guess I don't like limiting my imagination to just what is actually possible. Part of the joy of playing with my imaginary friends is asking: "What if?" And I like to leave a broad range of answers open. 

I've tried a lot of the subgenres that more broadly are known as science fiction and fantasy. 

In fact, when I look at this list of subgenres, there are only a few I haven't at least dabbled in. And the others are things I am likely still to try in the future. 

Maybe not military or space opera? I don't read much of it or watch much of it, but you never know. I didn't expect to write horror, but now I have more horror stories out there than superhero ones. 

I haven't written a mystery yet, but I had an idea for one recently. 

I think the genre I am least likely to take on at this point is literary fiction. 

Although…

I do have a realistic historical novel on the back burner, just waiting for me to make research time so I can finish it, so maybe even that isn't a solid no. 

Hmmm. Maybe the truth is that there isn't anything out there under the writing sky that is a hard no for me. I'm open to the stories that come to me, whatever they turn out to be. Some would require some more learning than others, but I'm open to growth to building new skill sets to be able to do justice to a new concept that inspires me.

How about you? As a writer, and as a reader, are there genres that you're not drawn to? I'd love to hear your thoughts in the comments!

5 comments:

  1. I suppose I should never say never, but I don't see myself really taking on anything on the sci-fi side of that graphic. I don't think I could do it any justice. But who knows—it seems a lot of writers end up surprising themselves. Those WIPs have a way of taking on a life of their own. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, a sister in fiction! I'm writing under the same umbrella. Not all of the sub-genres by any means, but I have tried a few, and they all work for me. As long as it is not reality, I do fine as a writer. My brain just doesn't want to convert reality into fiction. I don't like dark and gloomy stories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're amazing, Samantha; a middle school Spanish teacher by day and a novelist by night. And you've written in so many genres. I was never able to teach and write at the same time. I hope your school year goes well. It's been a difficult time for teachers. And good luck with your writing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Didn't know you write speculative fiction. I really like this genre. In fact, it is one of my go-to genres to read. Definitely keeps things interesting :D Looking forward to reading your work.

    ReplyDelete