Thursday, April 2, 2020

What I Was Reading When the Pandemic Hit



Focusing on reading in March proved difficult for me. I started strong, with Margaret Atwood's The Testaments and Jean Rhys's Wide Sargasso Sea, books I had begun right as February became March. (click the links to see my full reviews on Goodreads).

I had just finished Silenced by Nicole Givens Kurtz when the Corona crisis hit. All three pleased me in different ways: The Testaments made me think. Wide Sargasso Sea washed over me with tragic poetry. Silenced fascinated me with its futuristic gritty noir world.

But, I couldn't seem to find the stillness for reading for a while once we went into lockdown. Too much uncertainty. Too much feeling like I should be *doing* something, something more obviously productive than reading. Something that made my family more comfortable or eased someone's suffering (someone else's suffering apparently: because reading really does make me feel better). That restless energy doesn't work for a reading life, at least not for me.

I was still able to write--I guess I see that as productive, since it does earn me some income and builds my second career. I returned edits on the next novella for The Menopausal Superhero series, promoted the release of the first one (Friend or Foe, book 1.5--came out just 2 days ago), promoted the 99¢ sale of book 1 in my series, and made some forward progress on my WIP, a gothic romance, The Architect and the Heir. Steady, if slow progress, my normal pace.

Reading-wise, though, I've slowed way down. I've been working my way through Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass for a book club selection, but it's not charming me like it should. I think I'm just in the wrong headspace for punny nonsense without a plot.

I've also been listening to Theodore Dreiser's An American Tragedy, and quite liking it, but it's a 34 hour book, so I've still got some 20 hours to go. I'll probably finish it while it's still April.

I finally decided that what I needed was short, escapist work. That's working for now. Feathers by Jorge Corona and Captured by the Alien Vampire Highlander by Crymsyn Hart both distracted me by immersing me in fantasy worlds with unusual main characters. I think this is a trend I'll continue into April, looking for fun distractions and remembering that brevity can indeed be the soul of wit.

What are you reading? Does being at home have you reading more or less? Any suggestions for my immediate TBR? I'd love to hear from you in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment