Wednesday, May 2, 2018

IWSG: Feeling sprung this spring

 
It's the first Wednesday again, which means it's time for the Insecure Writer's Support Group blog hop. The May 3 question - It’s spring! Does this season inspire you to write more than others, or not?

Be sure to check out our awesome hosts after you see what I have to say: The co-hosts today are E.M.A. Timar,J. Q. Rose,C.Lee McKenzie, and Raimey Gallant!
_________________________________________________________
Normally, I'm all about spring. Flowers, sunshine, rebirth, love. I usually shake off the doldrums of winter, get out there in the world and get things done. It's traditionally been my favorite time of year, with birthday celebrations, book launches, and outdoor time.

Not so, this year. This year I'm more like this: 

My spring done spring, ya'll. I'm stretched out and thin. For my writing life, I find I have very little energy. It's frustrating, but I'm trusting that it's a cyclical ebb and flow thing and that the balance will come back. I'm a terrible patient, and this is a lot like being sick: accepting limited options for a while.

Its just one of those times when "life" demands more of my focus. I've got a girl getting ready to graduate high school, another about to transition to middle school, I had the flu in March and have felt behind on things ever since, my allergies are in full bloom, it's the last push of the school year and my middle schoolers have spring fever and tensions are high among them. 

But I'll keep on keeping on, like you do. At least some of my old work is paying off. A new Menopausal Superheroes story released yesterday, as part of a multi-author anthology

Here's hoping I get some bounce back in my spring soon. How's yours going? 

7 comments:

  1. I've been pretty stretched thin this spring, which has been rather frustrating. I really wanted to have so much more done by now, but now I'm just hoping I can get caught up later on in the year.

    Congrats on your high school graduate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My writing life feels the same. It's been stretched thin for a long time, not just this year but last year. I'm trying to fix that.

    A big congrats to your daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure that when all the "real life" stuff is calmer, you'll feel a spring in your step again.

    Ronel visiting on Insecure Writer's Support Group day: Autumn Decisions

    ReplyDelete
  4. Life can be busy. Enjoy it. Graduation means new adventures for both of you. :-)

    Anna from elements of emaginette

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's annoying when life gets busy and you have to put writing aside. But you gotta do what you gotta do. Writing will still be there when things calm down.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I get you - on life getting in the way of writing. We're all racing away on our projects when BUMP! (the flu) or BANG! (the sink broke and needs major repair) or BARRAAATATATA! (My son's soccer practice all week long!!!)

    And let's not forget the first sun burn because we've been hibernating so long we forgot about sunscreen. I already have a sun burn on my nose!! Oh springtime, I love you, but sometimes I hate you.

    :-D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry to hear, Samantha. I struggled with burn out in the past week, but thankfully, a four-day weekend (which I could ill afford, work-wise) seemed to do the trick, at least for now.

    I'm teaching adults in the evenings, and I tip my hat to you. It's incredibly rewarding, but also takes everything I have to give. I'm completely depleted by the end of my four-hour creative writing class. I'd love to know how you keep your energy levels up, and if one ever gets "used" to teaching.

    Here's hoping you recover your writing mojo soon. It was really nice to see you on my blog again--I'd missed you.

    ReplyDelete