Saturday, August 9, 2014

#SaturdayScenes: No. 15: Marriage Poem

For #SaturdayScenes this week, I bring you a poem:
___________________________________________

Happiness—
that elusive animal,
that fluttery, giddy bird—
can only truly be held
when your chosen love
chooses you. 

Strange how slight butterfly wings
so delicately built
(on trust, on faith, on love)

can make you fly.

___________________________________________
I wrote this one on the occasion of my marriage. I'm revisiting it today as I signed my first book publishing contract yesterday and was surprised to realize how much it felt like getting married: long term commitment, legal ramifications, relationships . . . Here's to both these marriages lasting!
___________________________________________
My other #SaturdayScenes contributions:

Week One: Elopement Day from WIP, Cold Spring
Week Two: Linda Makes a First Impression from WIP, Her Father's Daughter, sequel to Going Through the Change
Week Three: Claiming Alex, from unpublished novel His Other Mother
Week Four: Things Get Hairy for Linda, from unpublished novel Going Through the Change
Week Five: a poem: A Clear Day in Kodiak, Alaska
Week Six: a snippet from an idea barely begun, Lacrosse Zombies
Week Seven: Mathilde's Visit, from WIP, Cold Spring
Week Eight: Sherry bakes, from His Other Mother
Week Nine: I Said So, Didn't I? (a scene in dialogue)
Week Ten: Losing Faith (a poem)
Week Eleven: Shop Girl, from WIP, Cold Spring
Week Twelve: Mary Braeburn, from WIP, Her Father's Daughter
Week ThirteenPatricia is Kidnapped, from WIP, Her Father's Daughter
Week Fourteen: Flash Fiction, Em Wakes Up
Week Fifteen: Marriage Poem

2 comments:

  1. I love your poem. It's very delicately rendered. I am celebrating my 29th wedding anniversary today. I know just what you mean about book contracts and being married. All too true!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Stephanie! The hubby and I are still going strong at eight years. Wouldn't it be lovely if my publishing marriage can last that long, too?

    ReplyDelete