Saturday, June 28, 2014

#SaturdayScenes No. 9

#saturdayscenes #samanthascenes

For #SaturdayScenes this week, I bring you a little scene written entirely in dialogue. Hope you enjoy!

_____________________________

I said so, didn’t I?

So, that’s it then?
            Yep
Really?
            I said so, didn’t I?
I guess I hoped you didn’t mean it.
            Why would I say it, then?
I hate it when you do that.
            What?
Answer everything with a goddamn question.
            Why?
It’s not funny, asshole. Especially not if this is really it.
            Hey, I never promised . . .
Like hell, you didn’t. Everything you did was a promise.
            I didn’t mean—
Don’t give me that shit.  Don’t you try and put this on me.
            I hate when you do that.
What?
Try to make it all about what I did.  You did things, too, you know. You asked me to live here with you. You told me about him.  You told me you needed me.

Yeah, well, I meant what I did.
            Of course you did! You never do anything you didn’t mean to!
What the hell is that supposed to mean?
            Jesus, you really don’t get it, do you?
Maybe I’m just not as smart as you.
            Do I have to spell it out?
Maybe you do. Maybe you should just say it for once. Just tell me what you’re thinking. Stop making me try to guess.

            You say that like it’s easy.
Isn’t it?
I’ve never met anyone as frustrating as you.  You can be right here with me and yet I feel like I don’t have you. You tell me things that break my heart, but they don’t even seem to touch yours. You’re somewhere else, behind your eyes.  I’m leaving because you already left me months ago, if you were ever here in the first place. You just forgot to take your body with you.

Is that what you think?

          I said so, didn’t I?

I don’t want you to leave.


I said I don’t want you to leave.  You can’t just not fucking respond to that. 


Say something!
          Why don’t you want me to leave?
I love you, idiot!
          You love me?

I said so, didn’t I?
_________________________________
If you would like to check out more scenes by some really great writers, you should search under the hashtag #Saturdayscenes.  The movement is the brainchild of +John Ward , who suggested that writers should share their work with the public each Saturday. 

_________________________________

My other #SaturdayScenes contributions:

Week One: Elopement Day from WIP, Cold Spring
Week Two: Linda Makes a First Impression from WIP, Her Father's Daughter, sequel to Going Through the Change
Week Three: Claiming Alex, from unpublished novel His Other Mother
Week Four: Things Get Hairy for Linda, from unpublished novel Going Through the Change
Week Five: a poem: A Clear Day in Kodiak, Alaska
Week Six: a snippet from an idea barely begun, Lacrosse Zombies
Week Seven: Mathilde's Visit, from WIP, Cold Spring
Week Eight: Sherry bakes, from His Other Mother

2 comments:

  1. It is a very sad scene. It's like dialogue without communication

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I originally wrote it for a writing contest (I didn't win). The parameters were that the story had to consist only of dialogue, with no descriptors or tags. I agree that it's a sad scene. Two people who talk past each other and miss their chance to connect.

      Delete