Monday, November 13, 2023

The origin of a superhero series, an open book blog hop post

   

Welcome to Open Book Blog Hop. You can find us every Monday talking about the writing life. I hope you'll check out all the posts: you'll find the links at the bottom of this post.

Do you have an "origin" story for any of your stories? Where do your ideas come from? 

 ______________________

Appropriately enough, the Menopausal Superheroes series, among all my work, is the one with an origin story. 

I've told the story before, but never in this blog hop, so here goes: 

My husband and I were out taking a walk after watching one of the X-men movies. (If anyone reading this isn't familiar with the X-men, they are a group of superheroes, specifically mutants, and most of the characters are very teenagers, all attending a special school superintended by Professor X.)

I didn't like the movie very much. Too much teen drama and not enough of the superpowers and moral dilemmas that draw me to superhero stories, so I was venting while we walked about how the secret message of all the X-men stories was that hormones, puberty in particular, cause superpower. 

"If that's true," I said, "then menopausal women should corner the market on that one!"

My husband laughed, and we spent the rest of our walk riffing on the idea. By the time we got back home, he said, "You should write that down." 

And I did. And I still am, four novels, two novellas, and a collection of short stories later. I'm hoping to finish the series concluding novel before the end of 2023 and bring it out in 2024. 

My series, so far

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

8 comments:

  1. That's fantastic. It never ceases to amaze me, how one simple comment can spark a series. Something like that happened to me, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. With teens the hormones start circulating, but with female menopause the oestrogen starts to wane. Your menopausal women must be heroines indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great story! Think of how maturity can temper the use of those new-found powers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol...I guess that means menopause women are twice as powerful.

    ReplyDelete