Wednesday, September 6, 2023

Happy birthday, IWSG!



Welcome to the first Wednesday of the month. You know what that means! It's time to let our insecurities hang out. Yep, it's the Insecure Writer's Support Group blog hop. If you're a writer at any stage of career, I highly recommend this blog hop as a way to connect with other writers for support, sympathy, ideas, and networking. If you're a reader, it's a great way to peek behind the curtain of a writing life.

Our Twitter handle is @TheIWSG and hashtag is #IWSG. This month's co-hosts are:And the question-of-the-day: 

The IWSG celebrates 12 years today! When did you discover the IWSG, how do you connect, and how has it helped you?

As near as I can figure, I've been participating regularly in the IWSG blog hop since May, 2014, starting with this introductory post. That's the when the logo looked like the one you see above instead of the (in my opinion, much cooler) one we have now. 


So, that's nine years ago, which seems about right because that's about when I committed to taking my writing life seriously and making space for it, and I sought out writing communities and professional support as I worked to figure all of that out. (And how fun that in the comments on that post I see blogging-friends I still connect with through IWSG today!)

Now, how I heard about it? I don't remember! Like most things in my writing life, I bet I saw someone else participating and thought it sounded interesting and jumped on board. But who that was? What I saw? Where I saw it? Sorry, those are all details lost to the mists of time.


Looking back at that post, though, I want to go give my past self a little hug. 2014 turned out to be A HUGE year in my writing life, the year that the professional aspect started rolling. Just three months after that first post to the IWSG, I signed my first book contract for Going Through the Change

And the IWSG was here for me, cheering me on, encouraging me to continue when things got tough, inspiring me with their own journeys. They were there when I had to go through a painful revise-and-resubmit for the third book. They were there when that first publisher went defunct and I had to scramble to get my rights back. They were there when I was dealing with burnout and struggling to find the joy in my writing life. They were there when I signed with a new publisher and got a fresh start for my series. 

Each step of the way, I've found love and support among the writers in this group and I've been so glad I found y'all! So, fellow IWSGers, how did you find this group? And for other visitors, do you have a supportive group that feeds your personal journey? I'd love to hear what you have to say in the comments. 

11 comments:

  1. Hi Samantha! I discovered the IWSG through a friend whom I met during A to Z. It's always been welcoming and very warm, something I see mentioned in all posts today. Happy IWSG Day!
    -Sonia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no idea how I first stumbled across the IWSG, and the original blog through which I used to post IWSG posts is long gone, but I'd guess probably through a friend of a friend.

    And though I no longer participate in the bloghop, I met so many amazing writer friends through the group.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome that you joined the IWSG in 2014, a big year for you as a writer. I joined sometime before 2014 and have always appreciated how supportive and friendly everyone is in this group.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My first IWSG post was in February 2015. I stumbled onto the IWSG from another IWSG blogger. I don't how they'd found me, but they did and left a comment. I replied, then visited her blog and left a comment. Eventually learned she was part of a bloghop and after a few months of comments and comment backs, I joined the IWSG.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also have no recollection of how I found the IWSG, but I'm so glad that I did!
    That's great that you were able to find support from the group through all of your writing and publishing journeys.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not sure how I discovered IWSG either. I'm guessing something to do with the A to Z challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's why we keep the IWSG going - so writers can connect and support each other. Sorry your first publisher went under but glad you found another.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, yes, this is a great group of people. Thank you for dropping by my blog. Shalom shalom

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, Samantha! It was lovely to read about your writing journey and how much the IWSG means to you! We joined the group about the same time. Happy 12th to you. Wishing you continued success!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I've seen the original logo before but I never knew until now that it was used as the official one. (I didnt join until 2019.)

    The IWSG is definitely a supportive group as well as motivating one. I'm so glad I found out about it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on being part of the group for so long. I have not been in as long and definitely have not been as consistent, lol. But I am working on it. www.heidiangell.com

    ReplyDelete