Monday, November 21, 2022

Cats and Dogs and other unexpectedly contentious things: An Open Book blog hop post



Welcome to Open Book Blog Hop. You can find us every Monday talking about the writing life. I hope you'll check out all the posts: you'll find the links at the bottom of this post.
Nov 21, 2022 Big internet fight: Are you team cat or team dog? (or something else?)
People do like to squabble about silly things sometimes, don't they? I don't really have a side in this one, though. Currently, the non-human animals in my house include one snake and two dogs. But over the years, I have shared my home and my heart with a rabbit, four other dogs, some frogs, a hermit crab, a bunch of fish, and five cats (not all at the same time). I'm a grand-mum to my daughter's two cats. They've all had their good and bad qualities. 

I might lean slightly more toward dog-person than cat-person, but I think I would have both if they could get along together. No cats in my immediate future though, as the husband is allergic, and I like him more than I like cats. I'd love some more reptiles, and a goat if I had the yard for it. We'll see what the future holds. 

All in all, I feel pretty fortunate to have had animal love in my life. Pets have seen me through a lot of sadness and loneliness and brought even more joy to happy times in my life. They are better companions than many humans. 


I'll finish with a poem I wrote for the first dog I adopted in my adult life: Häagendog. 

A Woman Needs a Dog


A woman needs a dog

at times like these,

when she has watched too many sunsets alone

and, waking to an empty pillow

in the middle of the night,

cried.

Dogs understand

the desperation we all have

to be loved, how the need of love

can make you abase yourself

and be glad of the opportunity.  

A dog knows how oppressive

it can be to be alone,

yet how important it is

to be independent and strong. 

They appreciate that there is a time

to play in the sun, 

a time to sing to the moon,

and a time to rest your paws

on silken pillows

and wait.  They know

the beauty of indolence,

and the joy of comfort in their own skins. 

And a woman with a dog 

is never alone and never unloved.


Do you have a strong opinion about cats vs. dogs? Or just want to tell me about animals you've loved? I'd love to hear about it in the comments!

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

10 comments:

  1. Love the poem, after five years, I'm just getting used to having no animals in the house. I never thought I'd miss them as much as I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had about two years with no pets, after we discovered my husband's cat allergy and sent our kitty to move in with Grandma and before we got a new house and felt we could adopt a dog. I missed them terribly!

      Delete
  2. Great poem. Frogs are fun, but they just don't give the same emotional support that dogs and cats do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. The frogs were more for watching than interacting with.

      Delete
  3. Another person who has a hermit crab. Tweeted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great poem. I'm also allergic to dogs and cats - also to rodents. There's no hope for me, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We've never had a goat, but we talk about it sometimes. Our yard could support a single nanny and we both like goats milk, but we'd have to provide it shelter and food in the winter and neither of us relishes turning our garage into a barn. It's also not strictly legal to have farm animals at this location, but Alaskans are anarchists by nature. The neighbor has chickens. So we could probably get away with it -- except for the whole garage part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alaskan winters would make that harder. Not really a problem in North Carolina, where it's debatable whether we actually have winter.

      Delete