Wednesday, May 5, 2021

Return to the Public Part of My Writing Life


Welcome to the first Wednesday of the month. You know what that means! It's time to let our insecurities hang out. Yep, it's the Insecure Writer's Support Group blog hop. If you're a writer at any stage of career, I highly recommend this blog hop as a way to connect with other writers for support, sympathy, ideas, and networking.

If you're a reader, it's a great way to peek behind the curtain of a writing life.

Our Twitter handle is @TheIWSG and hashtag is #IWSG.

The awesome co-hosts for the May 5 posting of the IWSG are Erika Beebe, PJ Colando, Tonja Drecker, Sadira Stone, and Cathrina Constantine! Be sure to check out what they have to say, and visit other writers in the blog hop!
________________________________________

I'm heading to a convention the first weekend in June. That used to be something I did six to eight times a year, but 2020 and 2021 has seen event after event cancelled or altered to become a digital event. Undoubtedly, it was the right thing to do. Stuffing hundreds of geeky folk into meeting rooms in hotels for music, merriment, performance, and discussion during the pandemic would have been foolhardy and irresponsible. 

But I'm headed to a scaled-back ConCarolinas and I'm *so* excited to be easing back into the public part of a writing life. Participation in conventions has been one of the poles holding up this rickety circus tent I call a writing career. 

At conventions, I have readings, participated in panel discussions, hand-sold books, networked with publishers and other writers, and interacted with readers. All this sharing, helped build my name as an author, sold some books, built relationships, and kept me motivated when things were hard. 

Not having conventions has left a hole in my writing life. 


During the past year, I sought out some video and online activities, and some of them were great! A panel held over zoom takes away some of the limits on geography and let me work with people three time zones over from me, or even in other countries all together. People I might never have gotten to work with otherwise. (You can check out a lot of that work on ConTinual's YouTube channel or on my own). 

But there's a serendipity factor in live events that is hard to recreate virtually. I never just wandered through the halls and ended up in a great conversation because I was attracted by the laughter at a virtual event. Zoom meetings don't give you the chance to peek into other rooms and see what's going on. Damn, but I've missed that. 

Now that I'm immunized, I feel a lot safer about venturing into communal grounds again and I'm so happy that I'll be starting with ConCarolinas, a con that has always treated me kindly and made me feel welcome. 

How about you? Are you easing back into the world yet? What kinds of public events have you been missing lo these many months? 

14 comments:

  1. Up until this weekend, I've stayed pretty much in my home bubble with no problem. This weekend, I'll be attending my son-in-law's funeral. He died of Covid at 45, leaving behind 4 young children. I have to go, want to go, but even though vaccinated, I'll be mindful of those not wearing masks and maintaining as much of a safe distance as I can from most. Can't wait to hug the grandkids, though! Hope you have a fun and safe time at your convention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This year has changed me. Before I was pretty introverted, and now I'm working hard to get from skittish back to my old self. Without online conventions and Zoom webinars I don't know where I would have landed.

    Glad you're back out there. I'd love to hear about the convention once you're ready to share. :-)

    Anna from elements of emaginette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, skittish is just the right word. Even vaccinated, I'm still nervous because I can't know for sure what precautions the other people around me have and haven't taken . . .

      Delete
  3. I still haven't done anything or gone anywhere except the grocery store. I've been wondering how I'll feel about it when the time comes. Kind of feel like I'll end up banging on my own front door crying, "Let me back in!"

    But we'll see.

    Enjoy the convention!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've opened up a little further than that. I've eaten in a restaurant once (in the outdoor seating area) and gone to the movies once (mask on). Here's hoping this isn't too stressful!

      Delete
  4. As much as I'm looking forward to attending events again, I thoroughly enjoyed the online interviews that were put on last year. It gave me a chance to listen to authors in different countries, and I hope this easy access will continue. BTW I see that you read North and south last month? I can thoroughly recommend the mini series. I fall in love with Richard Armitage all over again everytime I time watch it! Sarah https://irevive.online/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely on by TBW (to be watched) list! I'm also interested in the older miniseries adaptation with Patrick Stewart.

      Delete
  5. Enjoy the conference. I'm starting to get out more now that I'm vaccinated. My boyfriend and I are eating in a restaurant for the first time for his birthday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I hope you enjoy your return to restaurant eating.

      Delete
  6. Hand sanitizer is finally possible to get again, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you have a great convention. It is going to be so pleasant when things finally return all the way to normal.

    Anne from annehiga.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Before the pandemic started I was trying to convince myself to try just one smallish conference. When in person things become more the norm again, I will start pushing myself to try them out. Enjoy yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope you feel good about venturing out soon, too! Conventions and conferences can be really great!

      Delete