Saturday, April 22, 2017

S is for Sunrise Biscuit Kitchen: A to Z Blogging Challenge

It's April and you know what that means: The AtoZ Blogging Challenge! For those who haven't played along before, the AtoZ Blogging Challenge asks bloggers to post every day during April (excepting Sundays), which works out to 26 days, one for each letter of the alphabet. In my opinion, it's the most fun if you choose a theme.

My theme this year is Places in my Heart, all about the places I've been and loved and that have mattered to me in a lasting sense.

For my regular readers, you'll see more than the usual once-a-week posts from me this month. I'm having a great time writing them, so I hope you enjoy reading them, too.
_________________________________________

S is for Sunrise Biscuit Kitchen


I like to eat. 

Whenever I go someplace, I want to try the food they are known for. I want something different than the every day, delicious and memorable. I like to try and find the places the locals know about, but that don't attract the tourists. 

Sunrise Biscuit Kitchen in Chapel Hill, NC is a place like that. It's doesn't look like much. In fact, I lived in the area for a couple of years before I found out about it. I drove past hundreds of time, but it didn't catch my eye, with its unassuming structure and little drive-through sign. 

Then I happened to hear about it on a cooking podcast I like (Splendid Table) as part of a feature on road food they used to do. I told my husband about it, and our stomachs both fell in love. In fact, we have to limit ourselves to only eating there once a month for the sake of our waistlines and cardio-vascular health. 

Biscuits and fried chicken are both quintessentially Southern food items. And they can be *wonderful* or "meh" depending on who makes them. Sunrise makes perfect chicken biscuits. The biscuits are soft and fluffy and buttery. The chicken is crisp and juicy inside, that perfect combination that is difficult to achieve. 

They don't make many things. The menu is brief. But what they make, they make VERY well. You can't go sit down in a charming café area while you eat--this is really JUST a drive-through restaurant. But what's a few crumbs on your bosom in exchange for nirvana in your mouth?






1 comment: