Tuesday, April 4, 2017

C is for Carolina Theatre: A to Z Blogging Challenge

It's April and you know what that means: The AtoZ Blogging Challenge! For those who haven't played along before, the AtoZ Blogging Challenge asks bloggers to post every day during April (excepting Sundays), which works out to 26 days, one for each letter of the alphabet. In my opinion, it's the most fun if you choose a theme.

My theme this year is Places in my Heart, all about the places I've been and loved and that have mattered to me in a lasting sense.

For my regular readers, you'll see more than the usual once-a-week posts from me this month. I'm having a great time writing them, so I hope you enjoy reading them, too.
_________________________________________

C is for Carolina Theatre

The Carolina Theatre is a lovely old dame in downtown Durham, North Carolina. We discovered her some time shortly after moving to this area and are now regulars for many of their events.

We spend the most time enjoying their Friday night retro film series, which plays both classics and cult classics and everything in between. It's a favorite date night for the husband and me, and sometimes we take the kids, too, especially when we feel their pop culture education is at stake! Recently played films I've enjoyed include: The Princess Bride, Bladerunner, Cowboy Bebop, The Secret of NIMH, The Evil Dead, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, and Gaslight.

The theater itself is beautiful, designed in the 1920s in the Beaux Arts style. There are several different performance spaces inside, for movies or stage events. Besides the retro series, we've enjoyed multicultural performances like Japanese drumming, musical performances by Big Bad Voodoo Daddy and Madeline Peyroux, and presentations of various sorts.

Between the events, the lovely people who run the place, the gorgeous venue, and the yummy snacks, the Carolina Theatre is definitely my kind of place.




9 comments:

  1. These old theaters are something of a dying breed now that multiplexes in suburban strip malls are taking over everywhere. This one's a beauty! I remember seeing Amadeus (the film) in a classic theater like this and it made the movie-going experience totally epic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thrilled to find this one. It's so lovely when the venue adds to the experience of the show.

      Delete
  2. That is a beautiful building.

    ~Patricia Lynne aka Patricia Josephine~
    Story Dam
    Patricia Lynne, Indie Author

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful place! Very similar to our Julie Rodgers Theatre. You can see a picture of her stage here: http://lifefaithincaneyhead.blogspot.com/2012/10/a-high-falutin-affair.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have friends in the tri-city area and have been to Durham a bunch of times but they never took me to the Carolina Theater. Are they holding out on me or don't they know about it??? I'm going to check with them. This would be a fun night with them. Thanks for sharing. I am eager to see what else you come up with!
    A-ZPersonalityQuirksforWriters

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful building! When I lived in Arkansas, I was honored to manage the 1929 Lyric Theater. We hosted plays, concerts, and yes, movies. It was grand.

    @dSavannahCreate from
    dSavannahRambles
    (not writing for #AtoZ this year)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks like such a lovely place! Thanks for sharing that!

    ReplyDelete