Monday, April 3, 2017

B is for Big Bend, West Virginia: AtoZ Blogging Challenge

It's April and you know what that means: The AtoZ Blogging Challenge! For those who haven't played along before, the AtoZ Blogging Challenge asks bloggers to post every day during April (excepting Sundays), which works out to 26 days, one for each letter of the alphabet. In my opinion, it's the most fun if you choose a theme.

My theme this year is Places in my Heart, all about the places I've been and loved and that have mattered to me in a lasting sense.

For my regular readers, you'll see more than the usual once-a-week posts from me this month. I'm having a great time writing them, so I hope you enjoy reading them, too.
_________________________________________

B is for Big Bend, West Virginia

From our neck of the woods, in the Piedmont area of North Carolina, our vacations are usually a choice between "head for the sea" or "head for the mountains." When we choose mountains, we've ended up in West Virginia a few times in the past decade or so. 

Big Bend is a state park day use area full of running water and large rocks to climb on, and a variety of hiking opportunities. I've been here with just my husband and also with my children and once with my mother, too. It's been wonderful every time in all sets of company.



My youngest daughter is a creek-dobber, like me, delighted with hard flowing water and small fish and the sparkle of light through trees and on water. So this is our kind of place.

There's something about the sound and smell of the water that clears my head of all pollution (external and internal). I only wish there was a place like this in my own town. 

6 comments:

  1. I've read your A and B posts. What a lovely bunch of memories accompanied by your evocative photos. A very nice theme this year. I do themes, too. It helps keep me focused and sane! lol
    A-ZPersonalityQuirksforWriters

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm really enjoying writing these posts, too. An excuse to wander through happy memories.

      Delete
  2. Never been there but I've been to Devil's Den in Arkansas. Very similar.
    Perspectives at Life & Faith in Caneyhead

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful picture of the waterfall!

    @dSavannahCreate from
    dSavannahRambles
    (not writing for #AtoZ this year)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a lovely, peace-making place. Waterfalls soothe me.

      Delete