Monday, June 19, 2023

What else do you do (besides write)? An Open Book blog hop post

 


Welcome to Open Book Blog Hop. You can find us every Monday talking about the writing life. I hope you'll check out all the posts: you'll find the links at the bottom of this post.

Besides writing, what other "subjects" are you good at?

______________________

Well, I do have a few skills besides writing. 

  • I'm a good home cook and baker. My banana bread is pretty famous among friends and family, and my husband swoons over my curries. I'm not afraid to tackle complicated recipes and love a chance to use an ingredient or kitchen tool that I've never used before. 
  • I can speak, read, write, and understand Spanish. That has come in handy in MANY situations, not just in travel, but here in Hillsborough, North Carolina, too. 
  • I'm an excellent organizer/planner (I have to keep to keep the chaos we call family life flowing). You should see my color coordinated google calendar.
  • I'm comfortable with public speaking and presenting, something that served me well in and out of my writing life. 
  • and I'm getting better at plant care. Only killed one plant so far this year. 

How about you? Do you have hidden talents or knowledge that serve you well? I'd love to hear about them in the comments.  

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

5 comments:

  1. I think it's best if I just stay away from plants. They'll survive then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can't throw out a reference to fantastic banana bread and not share the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the recipe we use for Bryant Banana Bread. We also add mini chocolate chips at the very end (right before baking) and I usually double the cinnamon/sugar mixture that goes into the pans first and forms the “crust.” We feel like it would be more accurate to call it banana cake.

      Sour Cream Banana Bread

      Ingredients:
      1/4 cup white sugar
      1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
      3/4 cup butter
      3 cups white sugar
      3 eggs
      6 very ripe bananas, mashed
      1 (16 ounce) container sour cream
      2 teaspoons vanilla extract
      2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
      1/2 teaspoon salt
      3 teaspoons baking soda
      4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
      1 cup chopped walnuts (optional) NOTE: we add mini chocolate chips instead

      Directions:
      1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). Grease four 7x3 inch loaf pans. In a small bowl, stir together 1/4 cup white sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Dust pans lightly with cinnamon and sugar mixture.
      2. In a large bowl, cream butter and 3 cups sugar. Mix in eggs, mashed bananas, sour cream, vanilla and cinnamon. Mix in salt, baking soda and flour. Stir in nuts (or chips or both!). Divide into prepared pans.
      3. Bake for 1 hour, until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

      Delete
  3. No green fingers here, but I am a big fan of vegetables. As for banana bread, yes please.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It must be great to be bilingual. I once sat in a restaurant where a mother spoke to a young child in one language, and its father spoke to it in another. The child replied in both languages. What a head start that child had!

    ReplyDelete