Monday, August 26, 2024

What We're Famous For, an open book blog hop post

 

Welcome to Open Book Blog Hop. You can find us every Monday talking about the writing life. I hope you'll check out all the posts: you'll find the links at the bottom of this post.


What is your area of the world known for (in your opinion)?
 ______________________
I live in Hillsborough, North Carolina, United States. Chance are high that, unless you're relatively local, you've never heard of it. It's a nice little town. Roughly 10,000 people including a mixture of "townies" (people who live downtown), housing development/neighborhood folks (like me), and more rural or agrarian settings. 

Hillsborough's main claim to fame is the Revolutionary War/Colonial era in American History. Lots of state politics included meetings or people in Hillsborough, and even some national. There's also a Scottish connection that got Hillsborough mentioned in the famous Outlander book series by Diana Gabaldon and the television adaptation. 

image source


These days, Hillsborough has a reputation as a great place for writers and artists. We've got a pretty robust literary community for such a small place. There must be something in the water. 

In fact, I joke that you can't throw a stone without hitting a writer in Hillsborough. Some of the ones you might have heard of are: Lee Smith, Jill McCorkle, Allan Gurganus, Michael Malone, Annie Dillard, Hal Crowther, Frances Mayes, and David Payne. 

Of course, there are also less famous working writers around here too, like me! Some of my writing friends from Hillsborough include James Maxey, Adrienne Moore, Jane Buehler, and Barbara Claypole White. (They're all fabulous, by the way, and you should read their books!)

I've lived here seventeen years, so I don't count as local yet (by Southern United States standards, I think it takes three generations before you count as local), but I've come to love my adopted hometown. We have truly lovely parks, a good range of businesses, and lots of social opportunities that stay small enough for an introvert like me to actually enjoy them. 

Let me know if you want to come visit! I'd love to show it off!

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

9 comments:

  1. Your town sounds pretty cool, especially for all the writers you have given that you live in a small town.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like a great place to live!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a lot of writers for one place. They're a little thinner on the ground in Brixham. There is an obsession around here with people being "local." It's often the first thing you're asked in a shop or restaurant, I am but my wife is not, which amuses me and annoys her

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see that a bit around here, too. How long does it take to count as local in Brixham?

      Delete
  4. Florida is an exception to the 'locals' rule. Almost no one who lives in Florida was born there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could see that. I used to think of it as a retirement haven and Disneyland.

      Delete
  5. I didn't know you lived in North Carolina. Been through Hillsborough a few times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll have to let me know if you're coming through again!

      Delete