Monday, October 10, 2022

Pizza, Anyone? An Open Book blog post



Welcome to Open Book Blog Hop. You can find us every Monday talking about the writing life. I hope you'll check out all the posts: you'll find the links at the bottom of this post.

Today's question: What toppings do you put on your pizza? Is pineapple a real pizza topping?

So at first this might not seem like an important question for an author to ponder, but writing takes fuel! And pizza has some serious advantages on this front--it's possible to get or make at low effort and cost, and it's flexible, letting you add whatever you want to your lovely round piece of bread and call it a meal.

Honestly, at this stage of my life, I'm not so much a pizza fan. I probably ate too much of it in my youth, as part of band, chorus, and tennis trips. 

Most of the pizza that comes into my house now is purchased for my teenager and the gaggle of other teenagers that come with them.  Teenagers have a reputation for being risk-takers, but in my experience, this doesn't apply when we're talking about food. They're practically still toddlers (as a group). 

So that means, in my opinion, pretty boring pizza: Domino's, plain cheese or with pepperoni. The fanciest they go is ham and pineapple. (And, yes, I do like pineapple on a pizza, especially contrasted with ham). 

image from the recipe site

My personal favorite, on the other hand, is a chicken tikka masala pizza (recipe here). 

By Indian cooking standards, it's a simple recipe, and really flavorful. Instead of using traditional pizza crust, I made mine using a store-bought piece of naan for the crust. It's aromatic and satisfying, and not boring. 

I've also enjoyed getting fancier pizza with some other unusual toppings. 

There's a Napoli place near us that offers interesting things like duck and bison on your pizza. 

And even chain restaurants like Blaze will at least let you have some interesting cheese and a vegetable or two. 

The truth is, I like pizza that is as little like traditional pizza as possible. 

So, that's my take on what I want on my pizza: something interesting, aromatic, and tasty! How about you? Are you a pizza fan? What do you like on yours? I'd love to hear your thoughts in the comments below. 

And be sure to check out the rest of the blog hop at this link!

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

5 comments:

  1. It sounds like you do wonderful things with your pizzas. I live alone now, and I've been getting a one-person cheese pizza and putting my own toppings on it, like pineapple and mushrooms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a great shortcut to a delicious end result!

      Delete
  2. Bison on pizza? We are an interesting species when it comes to what we will eat on pizza. Tweeted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's the great thing about pizza, it can be as individual as you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I associate pizza with teenagers too. I rarely eat pizza as it's quite calorific, and I can't eat cheese anyway due to being dairy intolerant.

    ReplyDelete