Thursday, October 4, 2018

#4 of 31 Days of Halloween: Classic Monster Movies


Classic monster movies.

I love to revisit old monster movies during this time of year. From the serious ones like Bela Lugosi's Dracula and Boris Karloff's Frankenstein to the campy ones with Vincent Price and Peter Lorre. From the purposely comedic ones like Abbott and Costello Meet the Mummy to the "little bit of both" ones like The Creature From the Black Lagoon.



My mom and I have always enjoyed old movies together and my dad and I like cult classics or just outright bad movies, and Halloween gives me the opportunity to enjoy all of that together in one bowl.

A local theater, The Carolina Theatre, has a long running retro film series and October is the best! Jam-packed with the full range of Halloween goodness. We also own a lot of these at home, so it's pretty easy to set myself up with a Halloween movie festival without even leaving my house.

I love more modern films, too, and I'll talk about them in another post, but there's something about the classic ones. Black and white is atmospheric in a completely different way and the storytelling style was more direct. Simple isn't always an insult. My love for these films is less complicated than the love I harbor for other movies.

Do you have any must-watch Halloween classics in your library? Got a favorite classic movie monster? I'd love to hear about it in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment