Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Spring Fever

http://s3.amazonaws.com/rapgenius/1362627420_PepeLePew.jpg
Ah, spring fever. Time to fall in love, and walk hand in hand in the sunshine singing sweet songs. At least, that's how it should be in my mind.

http://www.medguidance.com/images/10420185/part1.jpg
Unfortunately, my spring fever has looked more like hay fever this year. Tree pollen is high in North Carolina, so this girl was low. I spent all of last week wheezing and coughing, exhausted by little things like climbing the stairs of my own home.

But, yesterday, I finally started to feel better. I guess my Claritin ramped up enough, or my body just started to deal with it.

Even through the haze of cold medicine and kleenex, I can't help but feel the poetry inherent in the season, though. Spring is undeniably a time of rebirth and growth, of beauty and wonder. It's something about the light returning and the excitement that elicits in the soul, something that whispers, "Almost."

Here, Emily Dickinson said it better:

A Light exists in Spring
Not present on the Year
At any other period —
When March is scarcely here

A Color stands abroad
On Solitary Fields
That Science cannot overtake
But Human Nature feels.

It waits upon the Lawn,
It shows the furthest Tree
Upon the furthest Slope you know
It almost speaks to you.

Then as Horizons step
Or Noons report away
Without the Formula of sound
It passes and we stay —

A quality of loss
Affecting our Content
As Trade had suddenly encroached
Upon a Sacrament.

8 comments:

  1. I like the poem, but I gotta love the last two lines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the second and third stanza best, but, yes, I see where she's going with the ending. The feeling of loss can be like someone tried to sell you something while you prayed.

      Delete
  2. I have allergies. I never knew it before I saw my medical practitioner earlier this month, I just thought it was part of a long-term illness.

    I am glad the snow is melting here. The city makes everyone shovel their own sidewalks so they don't have to pay workers. Most people don't so I can't cruise around in my wheelchair even for a couple blocks... it's pretty cruddy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would make it extra terrible. So, yeah for snow melting in your neck of the woods!

      Delete
  3. Great post, Samantha, but sorry to hear about the hay fever. I was so happy to see the snow melt around here! I am beyond ready for spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Me too! It's confusing at our house because one child has spring break next week and the other the week after.

      Delete